In coordination with Transition Projects Inc. (TPI) and Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) program, Metropolitan Public Defender Veteran’s Project provides high-quality legal services to help eligible veterans overcome legal barriers to securing and retaining stable and permanent housing. By taking a holistic approach to representation, we seek to reduce legal barriers and obstacles to housing.
Legal Service Program Areas:
- Landlord-Tenant Advocacy and Representation
- Eviction Defense
- Tenant Pre-Trial Dispute Negotiation
- Reasonable Accommodation Requests
- Expungement/Vacating of Prior Evictions
- Negotiation of Security Deposit Disputes
- Expungement Criminal Record (Sealing of an Oregon Conviction)
- Felony Reduction
- Driver’s License Restoration
- Relief from Sex Offender Registration
- Sex Offender Reclassification of Risk Level
- Fine/Fee Reduction
- Restitution Negotiation
- Name/Gender Marker Changes
- Discharge Upgrades
- ID Restoration
- Family Law Issues (generally by referral and use of SSVF General Housing Stability Assistance funds)
- VA/SSA Disability Disputes (generally by referral to specialist attorneys on contingency basis)
- Outstanding Warrants
- Debt & Bankruptcy Advice or referral
- Restraining Order and Stalking Order Advocacy
Other Services Provided by SSVF Case Managers:
- Assistance with housing search
- Assistance with employment search
- Assistance in finding transportation
- Connection with local support services
If you are a veteran and need help, or if you know a veteran who needs help, please contact Transition Projects by clicking here; or call, either 211 or 855-425-5544 for a screening; or visit the Bud Clark Commons at 665 NW Hoyt Street, Portland, Oregon 97209, Phone: 503-280-4700.
Our assistance is generally limited to those who have been screened into the SSVF program. If you would like to speak with us, please call 503-225-9100 and ask for the Veteran’s Project; or visit us at 630 SW 5th Avenue, Suite 500, Portland, OR 97204.
Please contact The Metropolitan Public Defender directly by filling out this short form through our website.